Friday, April 24, 2009

waking up in Uganda!

So far I have experienced two FULL days in Uganda. Yesterday I got up early and ventured out to Tekera Resource Centre (TRC) which was about a 40 minute drive from Masaka. I was with three other western women, two from Canada and one from Ireland. We passed through several small villages as we drove along the potholed dirt road. All along the way kids were running out to the road yelling "Hello Muzungu!" at us. Muzungu means "white person" and I feel like it is my new name. Every time it is yelled out I turn around and wave and smile.

I met many wonderful people and tons of friendly beautiful children. I was able to join up with a women's craft group where one woman was patient enough to teach me how to weave a pair of earrings. The other women thought it was quite hilarious. The craft group is a place where women can get away from their daily stresses, support each other, chat, relate, laugh and make crafts that they are able to sell to create a little bit of income. The baskets and bowls that several people bought at our fundraising events were made by this group. I spent the rest of the day with an Irish woman who has been volunteering at TRC for the last four months. She was such a great help and together we brainstormed ideas for what I will be doing there for the next ten weeks. She has tried to develop a library but has not had the time to get it really happening. I met with the head mistress of the TRC Primary School and she was happy to arrange a day where each class would come to the library for 1 hour and participate in a story time and craft time. So over the next few weeks I will get that going! I will be working with a Ugandan teacher who is retiring from full time teaching but would still like to be active with the students. Together we will hopefully create the library into a safe, clean, fun, and comfortable learning environment!

I spent most of the day in the country side and it was very lush, fertile and beautiful. I really felt like I was in Africa. I walked up to a lookout point with some of the workers and volunteers. We could see gorgeous lush jungle and the massive Lake Victoria. There were little homes and villages scattered throughout and intricate roads connecting them all.

This morning I met with Thomas from the Uganda Schizophrenia Fellowship. The Fellowship is located on the Masaka Referral Hospital grounds. They have recently been granted the funding to expand their 4 bed psychiatric ward to 30 beds! The building is currently being constructed and the staff is very excited. It will be opening in June, hopefully before I leave.

I am lucky that I met with Thomas when I did. Tomorrow they are holding an anti-stigma rally and a large group of mental health professionals as well as members of the Fellowship will be traveling out to surrounding villages to raise awareness and educate the public about mental illness. I am so excited that I get to participate in a Ugandan rally!

I did feel a bit discouraged because I have so many questions for the members of the Fellowship, but I feel very limited by the language barrier. I am curious to see how my Lugandan will develop.

Waking up each morning to the sunshine and birds and fresh air has been amazing. I am so surprised with how comfortable I feel here. The people have been so welcoming and have a great sense of humor.

Despite a few hiccups such as lost luggage (containing toiletries) and absolutely not a drop of shampoo in Masaka, everyone seems to be healthy and in good spirits. K

1 comment:

  1. Kara - it's so amazing to hear that you are doing so well, that the people are wonderful, that you feel comfortable, and that there are so many places to contribute.
    Take that CNN!!!

    ReplyDelete