Monday, June 22, 2009

The last few days

My time in Uganda is coming to an end. I have mix feelings about leaving. Part of me is excited to begin a new life in Vancouver with this enriching experience under my belt and another part of me feels that I have only just begun. It has taken me at least a month to get use to being here and to begin to understand how things work in Uganda. In order to work in a country that is foreign to mine, I needed time to take in the experience and observe what was happening. I did remain at TASO but I started to go part time. After a month of being there I was still struggling with being engaged in the activites and did not really feel I was much help to anyone. I did learn a lot about TASO and the amazing work they are doing dealing with HIV/AIDS issues and challenges here in Uganda. The other practicum I started was at a school working with youth. That was an amazing opportunity for me. I was very involved with the students and very blown away at how amazing the kids of Uganda are. When I got there the students had started a social work club. They wanted to learn about social work and wanted me to help with projects. I was so happy to be in a placement where I felt wanted and needed. I did my best to teach the students everything I new about what it is to be a social worker. The five girls and I went to give workshops in some of the classrooms to recruit new members for the social work club. Five girls started the club then five boys joined and now there are 65 members. When I got there the club was going to a disability group that meets at a community center. A women named Mary started this group in her community to help families with disabled members feel supported in the community. Many children in Uganda with disabilities do not get to go to school and do not have the same access to supports as other children do. The social work club members go to the disability group once a week to teach them some school subjects, share music and games. It is a wonderful project and I hope it continues and expands. Since being at the school I have been asked by so many children for help with school fees. School fees are such a big obstacle for so many children here. The children want to be in school so badly because education gives them hope for a life with less poverty. My experience with working with these girls has been one of love and respect. I admire their strength and endurance to work hard and succeed. I have decided to help one girl with school fees. I only wish I could help more.

I have also had the opportunity to do some amazing travels while I have been here. I have seen many amazing animals, met amazing people and enjoyed Uganda's music, smiles and culture. I have even gotten use to the food. Uganda's food is not my favorite cuisine but I am at the point now where I can enjoy matoke (a popular Uganda dish of steamed plantains). I will miss Uganda and feel blessed to have gotten to spend some time here. I only hope that someday Africa will be relieved of the oppressive poverty that make so many peoples lives hard.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to help families with disabled members..great work by Mary...keep going[..]


    ___________________
    Andrew
    Naton wide cash is easy and fast

    ReplyDelete