Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dance Performance@ CRO


Today @ CRO was definately the highlight of my time here in Uganda so far. I met a local dance troop called Hallelua Yesu Akwagala and asked them to perform @ CRO for the street children. I was expecting a few performers to come but the whole team showed up with costumes & instruments. It was the last day of the break so many of the street children were returning to school so it was a perfect way to send them off. Most of the performers were also orphans & previous street children so it was so amazing to connect them to CRO. Many of the children got up & danced & sang & were able to be children for a change. Many people from the community came to watch as did my colleages. Well pretty great to be apart of the culture here & even though I am only here for a short while our motto is to help support sustainable projects that continue after we leave & I hope the connection between this dance troop & CRO is one that will continue not only to instill hope but also to make for a better future for these street children. Honouring their culuture with music & dance is not only healing but also empowering. Well pretty hard to beat this week but I will definately strive to.To be continued...Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment