Thursday, May 14, 2009

week 1

Today was such an amazing yet challenging day at Child Restoration Outreach. There were children as young as five who are living on the streets. The social worker took me into the slums to look for some of the missing children from the center which was an eye opening experience. The level of poverty and desperation is like none I have ever seen and yet the people have this incredible resiliency and heart that most of us could learn from. Regardless of the language barriers there is still the unspoken language of the heart which was how I got through most of the day. It is so easy to connect with most of these children because they are craving attention so desperately. One boy told me I had a face like a mother which spoke volumes to me that what they are looking for is someone to care for them. The journey thus far has had some challenges, i.e. lost luggage, jet leg, lack of sleep ... yet being at CRO today made up for all of that and then some. I am excited for the opportunities to come and will keep you updated as much as I can.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment