Saturday, May 9, 2009

shaking your hips can be therapeutic


This week I was lucky to experience the benefits of music and art therapy. The Fellowship choir was practising a drumming and singing routine that they will perform on Nurses Day on May 12th. They attracted a crowd of in-patients who joined them and were thoroughly entertained. One young woman who is often sitting alone or walking around in a lethargic daze heard the music and whispered to me that she loves to "traditional dance." We walked over together and before I knew it she was shaking her hips, smiling and clapping. It was an unbeleivable transformation.
That same day I had brought some art supplies (that was donated by someone wonderful at home) and sat down with a few of the in-patients and we painted and drew pictures together. The stimulation instantly changed the mood, and we had a great time chatting, laughing and singing. One of the woman said to me "this is so good, when I do this it helps me to not focus so much on my problems." It was so neat to hear her say that. It really has troubled me that there are not many activities for the in-patients to do during the day. Many of them sit on their beds for hours and hours unstimulated. The painting and colouring was such a hit that I will definitely bring them along with me again.
Everything at the library at Tekera (TRC) is going very well. The local librarian and I have been working hard to get the books catalogued, decorations up, and plans in order for the library to open to the community on May 25th. There will be a quiet study area, comfortable loungey area, storytime every Friday followed by creative writing and Adult English classes three times per week.
We have brought a lot of donations with us and have found ourselves faced with the challenge of what to do with them now that we are here. How do we be charitable to people in an empowering way that helps to maintain their dignity? One of the foundations of our project is to empower people and their communities and we are concious of the fact that handouts can be disempowering but at the same time we see a need for them. There is an expectation that as a white westerner I have brought donations for people. I am constantly asked for things whether it is for money or the shirt on my back. It seems that some people have become accustomed to handouts and it is almost expected. So the struggle is that we have come with the intention to give to people but do not want to continue the pattern of dependence. Or maybe we should just stop being so social worky about everything and just give the stuff away.

I will be going to an "introduction" this Sunday. An introduction is when a woman takes the man she wants to marry to meet her family and the dowry is discussed. Apparently it is a large and serious celebration with lots of food and dancing. I get to wear traditional garb! Google "Uganda Gomez." They are awesome. --K

No comments:

Post a Comment