Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ugandan Days

Two weeks into my praciticum at TASO has been challenging. I am very impressed with TASO and the work they are doing. They are helping to improve hundreds of lives by providing HIV testing, couselling and treatment, however, I still need to find my place within this organaztions. I have seen HIV testing in remote villages and HIV counselling at the centre in Maska. On tuseday TASO loads their buses full of medication and a number of counsellors , nurses and doctors to go to a village and set up for a day to do HIVcounselling, check ups and drug distribution to people who would otherwise have trouble reaching theses services at the centre in maska. TASO helps so many people in need, to improve and extend their lives! I feel fortunate to be witnessing it all. My last two weeks have been mostly observing. I get furstrated with not understanding the language. The counselling sessions are in Lugandan. Even with a brief translation I still feel like I am missing a lot of interesting information. The TASO empoyees are all so nice and they joke around and laugh a lot but mosly in Lugandan so as a foreigner I am definitely challenged in fitting into a place where I look different, speak differently and think differently. Ugandan people are very happy and kind from what I have observed. I am also however challenged by the strict religous views that many Ugandan's have. Yesterday I was upset when a conversation with my TASO colleagues went sour. We were all coming home in the TASO van from an outreach mission in a remote village doing HIV testing, when the led conversation led to the topic of homosexuality. I was shocked by their strong feelings against homosexuals, but I was not yet sure if I wasn't going to say anything when someone else said, "in her country homosexuality it is ok," pointing to me. I was happy to respond by saying yes it is ok in Canada to marry the same sex and that homosexuals are born that way, it is natural. Everyone looked disgusted with me and for the rest of the van ride a man was trying to convince me that it is wrong and it is just as bad as rape or incest. I was happy to go home after that day to debrief with my roomies as I was and still am quiet frustrated and disturbed that Ugandan's have such a strong dislike to homosexuals. Many days at TASO I have come home discouraged because of the language barrier but this was something different. I am so thankful for having such great roommates to greet me at home with warm smiles and concerned looks so I can then normalize my feelings.
The other day I spent a day at a daycare as I am considering other practicum placements. The children in Uganda are so fun to work with. They love waving at you yelling hello muzungu !! At the daycare I was able to overcome the language barrier by playing with the children. It was refreshing to be able in engage with the children instead of observing. I may go to the daycare two days a week now. Right now I am waiting to speak with my supervisor at TASO to discuss having more of a role at TASO and to maybe go part time or maybe go to another practicum altogether. Wherever I am, there is always learning taking place by just being here. Uganda is a beauitful country and I am taking it all in !!
Blessings Chandra

No comments:

Post a Comment